Monday, June 4, 2007

Shopping with the Girls

Shopping with the girls was harder than I thought it would be. Both of my kids are pretty good, and they are not the kind of kids you see screaming for candy in the checkout line. But I did have to say no to many requests. Things that normally I would buy…blueberries, yogurt, string cheese. All of these things were too expensive and would have broken my budget.
It looks like the week will be filled with pasta. And peanut butter. I am allergic to peanuts, so really the PBJ is for the girls’ lunch. I am hoping we have leftovers some days, otherwise I will be eating a lot of ramen.
Before we went shopping we came up with a menu together. We will be eating pasta with red sauce (twice), macaroni and cheese with peas, bean burritos (no sour cream, no salsa), hot dogs and baked beans, another pasta with butter and tomatoes, more bean burritos and breakfast for dinner. For the mornings we will be eating Cheerios everyday (not really so much Cheerios, but “toasted oats”). As we walked through the store it was the cheapest of the items I bought. That means no whole grain bread, only fatty refried beans and I really do not want to know what is in the hot dogs.
I was able to get a bag of apples and some bananas, but I do not think there are enough to last me the week. And there are certainly not enough for me to eat any. I really just want to make sure the girls have enough.

No comments: