Thursday, June 7, 2007

While Visions of Burritos Danced in my Head...

As I see the end in sight, I feel the need to reflect back on what Sunny and I have learned this week. I know I am humbled by the experience and feel so very lucky for the life I have. Sunny mentioned how hard it was to not use the food we already had in our homes… being able to open up the fridge and having it full of condiments and other items. We both realize that is not the reality in many homes. How many times do you look through the cupboard in your kitchen and think “there is nothing to eat”. The reality is there is more than plenty to eat. Meals upon meals could probably be made from what we all have at our homes right now. We are lucky to have the luxury to choose what we want to eat, or what we feel like eating.

I also feel lucky to have enough money to buy the foods that are healthiest for me. One could eat healthy for very little money, but that requires more time. Dry beans are cheap, but I know I do not have time to soak, sort, and then cook those beans. I choose to buy black beans instead. I could make whole grain breads if I did not have to work. All those great bags of field greens I buy from the store, could be grown and eaten, but again where am I to get the time. If I do not have the time then how is the single mom with 3 jobs going to do it. I now understand why people choose to eat fast food as often as they do. It is cheap and easy. I know I enjoy my fair share of French fires, but my diet is not based on it. I also have had the opportunity to learn more about Nutrition in general, which means I have the tools to make better choices. We have this great program here at OFS, called Operation Frontline. Aaron, our nutritionist, teaches lower income families how to eat and buy healthier food. I really see after this week why this program is so very important to our community.

Of course as each day passes I write these posts while dreaming of the burrito I will be eating on Saturday….(families on food stamps do not have that luxury)

No comments: